Wednesday, June 20, 2012

About Lloyd and the Gardening Assistant Internship


     Hello, my name is Lloyd Frieson, aka Boobie. I was born in Chicago, IL in 1970 and was raised in Mobile, AL from 1976 until 2004. In 2004 I moved to the Menominee Reservation to get away from the humid heat and mostly this is my mother’s home. I began gardening at the age of twelve years old and have been doing it since. My father’s father was the one who introduced gardening into my life. He would come by every Saturday morning and it was expected that the grand children help in the family garden. I did not want to go work the garden the first year but my father was pretty strict about following the orders of your elders. After awhile the plants began to sprout and bloom and something inside of me lit up spiritually.
     Receiving this internship for the summer is a great opportunity to try different methods of gardening and finding out new information on growing crops. One of my projects I am now working on is maximizing the least amount of area to raise crops. I have made a twenty foot strip by one foot wide and have planted corn, squash, beans and peas. Soon I will introduce some sunflower plants and some herbs into that same area utilizing the total area for foods. My ambitions will be that this area of 20’x1’ will create a wall of vegetation. I am also working on another project that will involve the high school students and clearing out the CMN design by the water tower. I will also be traveling to the Oneida farm and gathering information on how they are sustaining their crop yield. As I understand I am to work while I am there to get some hands on experience which will be great. These are considered valuable teachings and I will treat them as such. The Creator has gifted me this opportunity to be the best I can be. I will also like to talk to some elders on how gardening was back in the earlier times and document those meetings for reference. I would like to thank the SDI board for giving me this opportunity to grow in a field that I am really passionate about.

No comments:

Post a Comment