Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hear From SDI Intern, Laundi Keepseagle




"Híŋhaŋni wašté.  Emačiyapi ye Laundi Keepseagle. Good Morning. My name is Laundi Keepseagle. I am Dakota Sioux from the Standing Rock Reservation in North Dakota. I have two beautiful daughters, Alexanndrea Germaine and Kyemoni Dakota. The blessing of my children laid out a new path in my life. I decided to attend college shortly after my first daughter was born.

I am currently a Sustainable Development major at the College of Menominee Nation and an active SEEDS member.  I am very inspired by one of my professors, Dr. William VanLopik. During his Intro to Sustainable Development course, I was first introduced to the interconnections of economics, ecology and social equity. I was drawn to social equity issues and hope to continue my education further in this direction. My major goal for the future is to open eyes and hearts to social equity issues happening everyday throughout indigenous tribes across the globe.

The Sustainable Development Institute Sustainability Outreach Event Planner Internship has offered me a running start on my goal. With this opportunity, I have been able to connect with the audience I find most important, children. Thus far, I have taught four classes on sustainability with an emphasis in science and art. I feel that hands-on learning is far more effective than lectures and this internship has given me the chance to explore this thought. I hope to step outside my box and not be afraid to fail. I want to make an impact on the community and spark interest in sustainability."  

No comments:

Post a Comment