Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"I couldn't think of a better day at work," an Internship Experience

Sheldon Waupochick, SDI Intern

My internship experience started with meeting new people, which so far is the best part.  A group of new people going through the same new experience as me; it was a very comfortable feeling.  The first thing we learned about was SEK (scientific ecological knowledge) and TEK (traditional ecological knowledge).   Looking at a forest and applying both of these methods to understand the true components, both traditionally and scientifically.  It was very interesting to learn more in-depth about the same forest I lived in a majority of my life.  With the presence of Dr. Kimmerer, instructor from SUNY ESF, I had much help in understanding factors that affect the rate of tree growth, species, soil depth, and temperature.  I found out that there is an answer to all these factors, and it is “It depends.” I now have a better knowledge of tree identification, which is kind of annoying now that I am always trying to identify trees outside of work. 

With the other interns from SUNY ESF, we took several trips to various vantage points throughout the Menominee reservation.   I thought it was “cool” to be able to help show these people from New York the “Dells” and other places where I have been enjoying recreational activities my whole life.  Places like the “Dells” probably don't exist many other places on earth and we had the opportunity to explore the area and learn in depth of the tree species with Dr. Kimmerer.  At that moment, I couldn't think of a better day at work than that.

On the 6th of June, the other interns and I were given the opportunity to attend the 37th Annual National Indian Timber Symposium.  Located in the conference center of my hometown I learned from many interesting people.  During the symposium I learned about climate-change, forest ecology, invasive species, and species range shifts.  These instructors came from all over the country, and I was most pleased to spend time with instructor Tony Waupochick, who is my father.  During a tour of the Menominee reservation and Stockbridge reservation I met another Native American from California.  We had several conversations, and in one of them, he said he met the president and had dinner with him. I thought that was very interesting. 

As an LFTL intern, we were given a task to team with SUNY ESF interns and repair an Oak Wilt Gap.  This Oak Wilt Gap was an area on the Menominee reservation that has been exposed to the Oak Wilt Disease.  Mentored by Jeff Grignon (Menominee Forester), we as a group, got to decide the future of this piece of land by how we would repair it.  First we had to think about how the forest sustains us, and how we sustain the forest.  After learning a variety of aspects of forest management we applied these methods to our Oak Wilt Gap prescription.  Menominee Tribal Enterprises has the capability to prescribe burn or manipulate land mechanically with machines or men with chainsaws.   In a group presentation we described how we recorded the tree species, temperature, and other data of the area.  In two weeks we completed our prescription and possibly made our mark on the future of the Menominee forest. 


After completing only half the internship I feel I've learned a lot.  I can’t wait to get the opportunity to travel to the Huntington Wildlife Forest, New York and live vise versa of SUNY ESF interns.  I believe that the Sustainable Development Institute is making great strides in innovating learning experiences to us interns.  The second best factor of this internship is that I get to keep my knowledge forever and apply it throughout the rest of my educational journey. 

Blog post written by Sheldon Waupochick, Summer 2013 CMN SDI Intern for the Learning From the Land Experience

No comments:

Post a Comment